To be eligible to represent Scotland in international lacrosse competition you must be a member of Lacrosse Scotland & you must meet at least 1 of the criteria below.
- You were born in Scotland
- One or both or your parents were born in Scotland
- One or both of your grandparents were born in Scotland
- You are married to a person who was born in Scotland
- You were resident in Scotland, at some point, for at least 5 years
- You were resident in Scotland for 12 months prior to the competition
- You currently attend school or university in Scotland (applies to Juniors / U19s only)
You also need to provide documentary evidence to support your eligibility criteria statement. Prior to all international competitions run by World Lacrosse or the European Lacrosse Federation, all teams must submit documentary evidence of their eligibility to play for their National Team. If you meet at least one of criteria 1-7 you are in the “Eligible Pool”.
Note that for World Events and European Championships players need to meet the eligibility requirements of World Lacrosse, European Lacrosse Federations and International World Games Association, as appropriate.
If you want to be considered for one of our National Squads, please ensure that you have updated your member profile on your LS membership record, and have evidence to support your elgibility.
Lacrosse Scotland is committed to developing a strong domestic base in order to secure a long term future for lacrosse in Scotland. The criteria below (with figures per squad) will be included in each National Squad selection policy:
- Attendance at performance development / squad / trial weekends
- Balance of UK / non-UK players
This is in line with the Strategic Plan:
- “Increasing participation in the sport of Lacrosse – developing the sport from grass roots level upwards, making lacrosse accessible at all levels and promoting lacrosse as a fun and inclusive sport. Ultimately, this should also provide a bigger talent pool for selection to represent Scotland.”
- “Develop and publish minimum selection and performance criteria for each squad.”
Note that the Lacrosse Scotland Selection Policy describes the minimum criteria. Each National Squad Head Coach can, and is encouraged to, increase the criteria for their squad. Due to the different stages of development within each squad, and the World Events cycles, the policies can and will vary between squads but all must meet the minimum criteria set out by Lacrosse Scotland.